Proverbs 20: 1
- Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler;
whoever is led astray by them is not wise.
Proverbs 23: 29-35
- Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
Who has strife? Who has complaints?
Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes?
- Those who linger over wine,
who go to sample bowls of mixed wine.
- Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
when it sparkles in the cup,
when it goes down smoothly!
- In the end it bites like a snake
and poisons like a viper.
- Your eyes will see strange sights
and your mind imagine confusing things.
- You will be like one sleeping on the high seas,
lying on top of the rigging.
- "They hit me," you will say, "but I'm not hurt!
They beat me, but I don't feel it!
When will I wake up
so I can find another drink?"
Proverbs 23: 19-21
- Listen, my son, and be wise,
and keep your heart on the right path.
- Do not join those who drink too much wine
or gorge themselves on meat,
- for drunkards and gluttons become poor,
and drowsiness clothes them in rags.
Proverbs 31: 4-7
- "It is not for kings, O Lemuel—
not for kings to drink wine,
not for rulers to crave beer,
- lest they drink and forget what the law decrees,
and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.
- Give beer to those who are perishing,
wine to those who are in anguish;
- let them drink and forget their poverty
and remember their misery no more.
Compiled by Courtenay Thompson, a friend of A.A.